Sunday 24 November 2013

Degree or not Degree that is the Question

I have realised that having a degree is like having a front door because now everyone has one.
How do employers dig down to if someone is a suitable candidate? Many now use behavioral questions but if someone goes to ten interviews with the same questions its quite easy to give the answers that they want to hear.
 IE
 Tell us about a time when you have had to overcome a problem being part of a team ?

Tell us about a team when you have had a difficult customer and how did you overcome it?

Tell us about a time you have had to manage your own behaviour for the good of an employer ?



These questions and ones like it can be blagged particularly by someone who can sell well.

I think the best interview process I have had was for Thomson holidays for a job as a holiday rep in 2005.
We all arrived and were put in a holding area & apparently they watched us interacting on CCTV.
Did we sit in a corner or introduce ourselves to our fellow candidates.

We then went into a room where we were sat in groups doing team related tasks & then a short 5 minute presentation to see how we would cope with public speaking.

All the while we were be observed. You see for me the C.V got my foot in the door but the Proof was in the pudding.

The choice to employ me was the right one as not only was I great with the customer but my public speaking skills ( I learned them as a young Jehovah's witness) allowed me to be a top seller of excursions.

A degree or a good C.V may get your foot in the door but a good attitude & behavior is more likely to be beneficial for an employer.

What do you think ? I am interested to hear you take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment